<$BlogRSDURL$>
Chronicles of a Soldier
Friday, April 20, 2007

The Crystal ball says....
So one of my girlfriend got proposed to this past weekend and has kept it a secret because they are having some cultural difficulties…can I even call it that?
So here is the story: Boy met girl, they love each other, she is Yoruba and he is Ibo, they’ve been dating for about a year now. He proposes and she calls her folks up in Naija to tell them the splendid news! Only they did not find it so splendid. Her mum says their priest (don’t ask me what sort) looked into the matter and does not think they should get married! Egba mi! Give me a break! When will the madness stop? I am so sick and tired of blaming every idiosyncrasy on culture or on the being Nigerian, does being Nigerian not warrant having common sense? Don’t get me wrong I definitely think you should pray about your mate and seek God first in all things but this is different! Since when did they become Ms Cleo? A lot of these hungry priests have no vision whatsoever, they concoct this BS just to get a few bucks and in the process ruin a perfectly good thing. If its not some priest or Babalawo, it's our parents themselves! We love and respect our elders dearly but NEWSFLASH!!! They won’t be alive forever and they are not going live in the marital home with you, only you will have to deal with the consequences of your actions. I know they want the best for us, what parent doesn’t? But what I don’t know is that they are certain what that is. Ideally everyone seeks their parents’ blessings for their union, approval at the least, but where do we draw the line? I know one couple that broke up over the dude being Ondo and the girl Ijebu? The dude parent gave homegirl so much grief that she couldnt take it…Omo who cares!!!! They allowed their families to cloud their judgment and compromised an otherwise perfect union. Da hell? So because of some ancient beef the Olori’s of Ijebuland had with the Asiwajus of Ondo….me and my boo can’t quarve? Omo….that na long tin o!
A woman dear to my heart was going to marry a man, her parent forbade it because he was Muslim then later blessed her marriage to a Christian so to speak, only this MOFO turned out to be the greatest asswipe planet earth has ever been cursed with! Makes you wonder if she had followed her heart and what coulda, woulda, shoulda been!
Granted this madness is not limited to Nigerians, but we’ve got to break the vicious cycle and charity begins at home. Please pardon me but I am outraged at the alarming number of incidents such as these that have occurred and continue daily. My own feisty views aside, do you really think that allowing others (not God o!) to decide who you are going to spend the rest of your life with shows innate cognizance of that sort of commitment?



The Odds are against me but pile up enough Odds and you are Even. The inevitability of my ability to consistently overcome overwhelms me. As do the magnificence of God's grace towards me and mine. I marvel at my proximity to my destiny. I am astounded that Can't, Won't and Later disrupt my journey to greatness. A conscious decision is mine to make and christen them Can, Will and Now! My reflection gazes back at me with another challenge at hand, procrastination hinders my reaching my destination. Don't tell me where I should go till you walk in my shoes. Yesterdays mistakes are for tomorrows amends, yet I ponder on them like the hand of time changes? Mediocrity has become a comfort zone and I have turned obstacles into road-blocks rather than stepping-stones, I find myself compromising my integrity as I try to maintain the status quo. How easy it is to condemn me and defame my character, when you really should commend me, and applaud my efforts. Intimidated by my confidence, you misconstrue it as arrogance, I know who I am.... A strong, black-diamond in the rough, a female soldier, a Queen amongst her peers.. now who the hell are you?

Afrigator