<$BlogRSDURL$>
Chronicles of a Soldier
Friday, January 12, 2007

Kumbaya.....
Inspired by Desola’s blog, today I decided to write about old love. We have all had our heart broken at one point or another and it’s such a devastating feeling that at the time you are convinced you can never heal….wrong! Oftentimes we let the pain deter us from loving again or become pessimist and ruin any good thing that comes our way.




When I was in Naija, I had the best boyfriend any girl could wish for; he was attentive, patient, kind, handsome and then some, we spent every waking minute together and were the envy of all our friends, life was gravy but short-lived, I moved back to the States and he gave up on us…I knew we could do it, I mean what are the odds of finding a soul mate twice in a lifetime? The communication was one sided and we eventually fell apart. For years he was the standard by which every man was measured, I called him even after I was engaged to my Daughter’s father, he was pleasant but not overly excited to speak with me, I realized I hurt him but he gave up on us.




I did not completely snap out of it until a few years ago, a mutual friend sat quietly and listened as I went on and on about dude and all my “what if” and ‘if only”. She told me to get over it and move on and she was very candid yet very sincere and that was all it took.




Then there was the scandal early last year, that made me want to crawl into a hole and isolate myself forever….honestly I never thought I would get over that! I was scarred beyond repair and I just wanted to rewind time to where it never even happened.
I’ve come to realize all these things make us who we are, we learn from them and it builds our character and no matter how difficult or painful or even angry you get you get over it!! At the time it doesn’t seem like it but you do…time fixes everything! Now…. I just want to hug everybody and sing KUMBAYA!!!!




Fuck what you’ve heard everyone has a story to tell, and if you have never hurt someone and never been hurt then you haven’t lived! Some of us are more vulnerable than others but for the most part we all get our feelings hurt. The point is there is light at the end of that Tunnel, as I told Desola, when you find that ONE that God has meticulously prepared for you it is soooo worth the wait. When Ade said that to me last year “Bola, I know you are hurting right now but when you meet that ONE that God has prepared for just you, you will be glad it took this long and it will be worth the wait” I wanted to bitch slap her, I looked at her like she had lost her damn mind but she was sooooo on point…I see that now.




So the odds may be against you but like I say add up enough odds and you are even.
Sing with me yall….Kumbaya!!!!



The Odds are against me but pile up enough Odds and you are Even. The inevitability of my ability to consistently overcome overwhelms me. As do the magnificence of God's grace towards me and mine. I marvel at my proximity to my destiny. I am astounded that Can't, Won't and Later disrupt my journey to greatness. A conscious decision is mine to make and christen them Can, Will and Now! My reflection gazes back at me with another challenge at hand, procrastination hinders my reaching my destination. Don't tell me where I should go till you walk in my shoes. Yesterdays mistakes are for tomorrows amends, yet I ponder on them like the hand of time changes? Mediocrity has become a comfort zone and I have turned obstacles into road-blocks rather than stepping-stones, I find myself compromising my integrity as I try to maintain the status quo. How easy it is to condemn me and defame my character, when you really should commend me, and applaud my efforts. Intimidated by my confidence, you misconstrue it as arrogance, I know who I am.... A strong, black-diamond in the rough, a female soldier, a Queen amongst her peers.. now who the hell are you?

Afrigator