<$BlogRSDURL$>
Chronicles of a Soldier
Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Have you been tested?
Last month Yetti blogged about HIV, the epidemic that seems to have instilled fear in man kind all over the world. As I read her blog, I thought about the last time I was tested for HIV about 2 years ands 8 months ago to be exact. Here we go again…it’s a new year and I was not playing when I said this is my year of great things. I called up my girl Dupsy to go with me and she decided to take the test as well. I don’t know what it is with my Naija folks but we swear up and down that we are immune to the disease or maybe we think ignorance is bliss and what you don’t know can’t kill you! Every time I ask someone if they’ve been tested I just get the “Omo…God forbid” or “for what now?” like I am judging them or something. Since last month I have been making plans to go get tested and for some weird reason, I have been putting it off. Dupe suggested we go to the State facility and get it done free but I won’t lie, I don’t trust those MOFOs besides you wait for your result for about 2 weeks, the fear of not knowing alone can kill you! Omo..not I Omobolanle…I shallant, I will gladly dish out $59 bucks and call it a day.
So anyhow, Dupe and I decided to do the damn thing! Dupe met me at my office and we drove down to the lab and it took like 2minutes and we were out. We decided to treat ourselves to some Japanese cuisine for good behavior…..Now the wait. I called the number to check the results this morning and all is well.
It really got me thinking though….you hear on TV and read the papers everyday about how this shit is all over the damn place and all it takes is for you to slip up one time with some generous MOFO and its over! It is stereotypical of people to attribute HIV with promiscuity but lets stop being ignorant and think for a quick second….there are so many ways to contract the disease we should just pray for God grace.
My girlfriend told me about this one chick that has never been with any other dude and has been married to this guy for about 4 years…they have 2 kids….young girl o, about 29, come to find out the MOFO has been dipping on her and she is now HIV positive., I don’t know her personally but it really made me mad!
Da hell and there are many such stories especially in Naija with the older generation, the men dip on their wives with college students on a regular and they bring all the kurujeje home to their wives! Lord have mercy….Oh and then the one that really bothered me was the pastor’s wife in Lagos who tested positive, apparently she had it before she married the pastor and now katakata don burst!
I pray for all my friends and family that this dreaded disease will not be our portion in Jesus name…Amen. Praying is not enough though; if you absolutely must do the do, please wrap it up!

Hey if you havent been test just go do it! If you want the results ASAP…call 1-888-peace4u or you can log on to www.Requestatest.com its confidential and it cost $59



The Odds are against me but pile up enough Odds and you are Even. The inevitability of my ability to consistently overcome overwhelms me. As do the magnificence of God's grace towards me and mine. I marvel at my proximity to my destiny. I am astounded that Can't, Won't and Later disrupt my journey to greatness. A conscious decision is mine to make and christen them Can, Will and Now! My reflection gazes back at me with another challenge at hand, procrastination hinders my reaching my destination. Don't tell me where I should go till you walk in my shoes. Yesterdays mistakes are for tomorrows amends, yet I ponder on them like the hand of time changes? Mediocrity has become a comfort zone and I have turned obstacles into road-blocks rather than stepping-stones, I find myself compromising my integrity as I try to maintain the status quo. How easy it is to condemn me and defame my character, when you really should commend me, and applaud my efforts. Intimidated by my confidence, you misconstrue it as arrogance, I know who I am.... A strong, black-diamond in the rough, a female soldier, a Queen amongst her peers.. now who the hell are you?

Afrigator