<$BlogRSDURL$>
Chronicles of a Soldier
Wednesday, December 20, 2006

LP's Graduation
So this past weekend my baby girl AKA first born graduated from college! Yes o my little Lolade with a Bachelors of Science! I am so proud of you mami!!! I stayed up all night Friday cooking, I had spent the better of the day shopping (grocery ni o..I am banned from the malls) so anyway, Dupe, Oyinade, Dami and Bode came by to help Denrele and I. It was crazy, I was so damn tired and the fear that I would finally burn down my apartment did not allow me rest at all! Ok I live on the second floor, and I turned my balcony into Alase central! Omo electric bills are off the chain and I was not willing to dish another hundy just because I can’t help myself! That and the fact that all my baffs will be smelling like j-rice…na! I put the fire extinguisher on standby and cooked away!

Saturday morning I was up bright and early….no way in hell I would miss the ceremony. It turned into a church service because Shirley Caesar was in the building. Dami picked Denrele and I up and by the time we got there, they were filled to capacity! Da hell, I ran past the police officer and blended with the crowd before he could catch me. I later came out and told another officer my family was outside and I reserved seats for them. LP’s parents were in town; I sat beside her popsy and talked the man to death, her mum was telling me about all the goodies she brought for me Combatrin was #1 on the list! Awww!!! Smoochies. After the graduation, we headed to Uncle Segun’s house for pots to cook the j-rice in. Remi’s mum gave me a ride back home because Dami’s car was packed! Uncle Segun gave me bread; he always does….this naija type bread that will go well with the beans I cooked last night! Good gawd it’s on!

LP's Graduation


Back at the crib I was delegating and of course all those Mofo ignored me. My third Born Oyinade and I got in a fight; she caught herself yelling at me! Omo I was beyond pissed. We fight all the time like we are really mother and daughter and then we make up in the cheesiest way....ewww! Anyway she apologized diplomatically just like I taught her. “Aunty Bola, I am sorry for the way I yelled at you, I am not sorry for what I said just how I said it!” I am so proud! How can I be mad at that? My favorite one is “I am sorry you feel that way” or “I am sorry you found what I said offensive” hehehe …Cunning….. I know! As I was saying, the party started on time, food was ready and folks were rolling in, we played pool, listened to music and ate till about midnight. I had an absolute blast! My babies wanted to go out for an after party but omo....I was done! We cleaned up the club house and I called it an evening…..My name is Bola and I will not be going to church on Sunday….I feel a sleepathon coming on!

On Sunday LP came by to scoop me and we went to hang out with her Folks, we later went to the movies with LP’s cousins and Dayo came to join us. We saw Blood Diamond….it was aii, ok it was great but I really wanted to see Pursuit of happiness. After the movies they dropped me off at home and hung out at my crib till about 1pm. I didn’t mind especially since I had the day off on Monday.

I finally saw Pursuit of happiness with Ade and Princess O on Monday ….it was so sad….so real, I just wanted to go home and thank God for everything I have. I asked Princess O if she learned anything from the movie and she said “yeah…..you have to be on time to get to the shelter so you can get a bed!” The things we take for granted.

Congratulations LP......here is to the beginning of many more great things to come!



The Odds are against me but pile up enough Odds and you are Even. The inevitability of my ability to consistently overcome overwhelms me. As do the magnificence of God's grace towards me and mine. I marvel at my proximity to my destiny. I am astounded that Can't, Won't and Later disrupt my journey to greatness. A conscious decision is mine to make and christen them Can, Will and Now! My reflection gazes back at me with another challenge at hand, procrastination hinders my reaching my destination. Don't tell me where I should go till you walk in my shoes. Yesterdays mistakes are for tomorrows amends, yet I ponder on them like the hand of time changes? Mediocrity has become a comfort zone and I have turned obstacles into road-blocks rather than stepping-stones, I find myself compromising my integrity as I try to maintain the status quo. How easy it is to condemn me and defame my character, when you really should commend me, and applaud my efforts. Intimidated by my confidence, you misconstrue it as arrogance, I know who I am.... A strong, black-diamond in the rough, a female soldier, a Queen amongst her peers.. now who the hell are you?

Afrigator