<$BlogRSDURL$>
Chronicles of a Soldier
Thursday, December 07, 2006

Akoba Central!
So yesterday on my way back from work, I stopped by my daughter’s school picked her up and headed home, I decided to stop at the gas station for some flu medicine and Tylenol, my baby was running a fever from her teething. As I pulled up to the gas station a car was pulling out, the blind idiot decided to take out half of my bumper with him, his girlfriend came out smiling and offering apologies, we were in the middle of the street so I pulled in the side street away from flow of traffic and with plenty witnesses. I was hoping to milk the situation, granted my ass does not have insurance, but he hit me dammit! As I parked my car off the street I saw a lot of rugged faces, young kids but you could tell they were hood rats, wearing baggy clothes and baseball hats! Typical! I locked all my doors and instructed my daughter to sit tight; I grabbed my purse and walked to the rear of my car so we could exchange information. The guy offered to fix my car because he works at an auto shop… (I have heard that crap before!) I told him to write down admission of fault and a promise to pay on a piece of paper and we’ll be all done.

As he scribbled I saw a fleet of black SUV pull up and sirens blazing…Oh hell! who called the POPO? I figured someone must have seen the accident and notified the authorities. I swear I hate Yankee!!


About 8 cops came running towards us guns drawn and waiting for someone to do something stupid, I saw the hood rats running like this was a bust or something I got kinda scared cause I have watched enough movies to know that innocent victims get shot in crossfire. I picked up my bag and was about to get in my car for cover when this huge black cop pointed his gun in my direction and asked me to put my hands up! LOL…Are you joking? Am I being punked...Stop it O! I looked at him confused. Other cops had caught some of the kids that fled and had them all spread out on the concrete street. The black cop grabbed my arm and forced me to the ground; I busted my lip and bruised my knees in the process. Somebory is getting sued! It won’t be funny!


I laid on the ground in my newest BEBE shirt Oh hell to tha NO! I was cuffed and picked up off the ground. My daughter was screaming hysterically at this point, another officer was attending to her and they got my car keys from my purse to let her out. I asked them where they were taking her and they screamed at me to be quiet! Egba mi…I am sooooo not amused! What the hell is going on! Is this what happens when you get in an accident? Whatever happened to good old citation and have a nice day maam!


I watched as they emptied the content of my purse and I saw about a dozen tiny ziplock bags of powder and what looked like white rocks roll out! I had my mouth wide open…da hell? Then there was this regular sized ziplock bag with what appeared to be thyme.... filled to the brim! I could not close my mouth. The implication of what was happening hit me and I started to cry!


I swear I don’t do drugs…never have …well excluding this one time 4 years ago when my ex gave me two puffs of his joint because I was curious! It was one of those things that you needed to try and get out of your system, I still remember the horror I went through afterwards; the paranoia, the continuous laughter, I laughed so hard I started crying..it was horrible! I was rushed to the ER because I was certain my heart would stop beating! I vowed then never to do it again and I haven’t.


The black cop read me my rights! You are under arrest for possession with the intent to distribute! Say wetin? You must not know my peeps…we don’t do drugs, I am the only one that even smokes cigarettes and I am constantly chastised for that! The absurdity of the allegations was overwhelming, I just kept crying!


They put me, the guy that hit me, his girlfriend and three other hoodrats in a van and drove us down to the station. On our way the couple that hit me could not stop arguing, yelling and screaming at each other. I was in another world, this is a dream right? Any minute now I would wake up! Right? What will I tell my mum? I can’t go to jail! I am a girl, other than traffic violations I have never broken a law in my life! OMG!! This is not happening! We were taken to some room and asked a bunch of questions; Name, age, DOB, address, work location…blah, blah, blah and then they took my finger prints, took all my clothes and gave me a jumpsuit! No it wasn’t orange, it was green. I was so weak from crying I just went along. They took pictures of my side view and front view and led me to some room that had a huge desk and one chair. I sat there playing the entire scene in my head. What did I do, where did those drugs come from? Dude that hit me must have dumped them in my bag when he saw the POPO. Am I going to jail? Where is my daughter?


The detectives came in one after the other and asked me what happened for what seemed like the 100th time I told them, I told them again that the drugs was not mine and they laughed. One of the cops said he would be a Millionaire by now if he got a dollar every time someone said that. I decided to stop talking; they reminded me again that I had the right to an attorney, where will I start? I got my one phone call and my dumb ass called Naija…I just wanted to talk to Kunsh, like he could somehow appear and make it alright ….he didn’t pick up… I was tired, and I needed to lie down, in the morning I can figure this out. I was led to a cell that had just a flat board…. poor excuse for a bed, a sink and a toilet! It smelled like hell….I haven’t been to hell but I am pretty sure this is how it smells! I decided to pray. “Dear God…it’s me again. I know there is nothing you can’t do but if this is one of those things that is meant to teach me a lesson…Please God…I get it…let me out of here…if you won't (cause I know you can) kill me now, because there is no way I can survive in here…watch my baby for me please God…Amen”



The Odds are against me but pile up enough Odds and you are Even. The inevitability of my ability to consistently overcome overwhelms me. As do the magnificence of God's grace towards me and mine. I marvel at my proximity to my destiny. I am astounded that Can't, Won't and Later disrupt my journey to greatness. A conscious decision is mine to make and christen them Can, Will and Now! My reflection gazes back at me with another challenge at hand, procrastination hinders my reaching my destination. Don't tell me where I should go till you walk in my shoes. Yesterdays mistakes are for tomorrows amends, yet I ponder on them like the hand of time changes? Mediocrity has become a comfort zone and I have turned obstacles into road-blocks rather than stepping-stones, I find myself compromising my integrity as I try to maintain the status quo. How easy it is to condemn me and defame my character, when you really should commend me, and applaud my efforts. Intimidated by my confidence, you misconstrue it as arrogance, I know who I am.... A strong, black-diamond in the rough, a female soldier, a Queen amongst her peers.. now who the hell are you?

Afrigator