<$BlogRSDURL$>
Chronicles of a Soldier
Thursday, August 17, 2006

Back in Naija!
We were all sitting around my crib and Oyinade was gisting us about how she racked up mad dough in Naija! I wish my friends gave Omolayo some loot every time they come by my crib!!! I mean damn, that would be gas money right there!!!

Yall remember back in Naija, how you love to have visitors! As in when visitors come around it Chi ching!!! The ones I can’t stand were the casual visitors that came by and dropped like 1k knowing good and well there were more kids in our house than the Brady bunch! Omo that is bad!!

Uncle Tom was good for 5K easy and O my God! You would think my American Aunties would represent when they visit Naija….HELL A! They give you chump change like 5 hundy and crap! Uncle Timi…my #1 OG came to Naija and gave me $400!!! Omo, I was made for shizzle!!! My big sis…well she’ll do like $100 and then pay for everything….she did not have no money then so I understood!!!

I remember my brother In-law coming through when I was in Ibadan, can’t remember how much but he held it down!
My late Uncle Tunji…Mehn a visit to his office earned me 10k Naira, I don’t over do that mess either, once every other month…I called it my Salary! My Uncle Segun…..I saw him around the beginning of the semester and he covered my tuition and books!
There are a few folks that still do that shit now! I mean picture my grown 28 in 13 day ass still getting $20 from my Aunty! Yep every time I go to NEW YORK my aunty will give me $20!! Da hell? You must accept that shit too or else!!! I am grateful though, I guess she is showing love #$^%&?

Then Aunty Tokunbo! Mehn!!! now this lady is like my personal Guardian Angel! Every time she see’s me she gives me money…As in EVERY FREAKING TIME!!! Then she’ll give Omolayo Money too like Imma let her ass keep it? Yeah ok!
OMG Uncle Segun of Raleigh…yup, he’s another one that always gives Molayo money…well me… because I take that mess every time!!


So why is that? Why is it like the norm back home to leaving parting cash gifts and here its almost like pulling teeth to get an uncle to raise you! I guess we struggle more here and $$$ are not as easy to come by as naira is back home. I don’t know the deal but damn I wish I was a kid again.



The Odds are against me but pile up enough Odds and you are Even. The inevitability of my ability to consistently overcome overwhelms me. As do the magnificence of God's grace towards me and mine. I marvel at my proximity to my destiny. I am astounded that Can't, Won't and Later disrupt my journey to greatness. A conscious decision is mine to make and christen them Can, Will and Now! My reflection gazes back at me with another challenge at hand, procrastination hinders my reaching my destination. Don't tell me where I should go till you walk in my shoes. Yesterdays mistakes are for tomorrows amends, yet I ponder on them like the hand of time changes? Mediocrity has become a comfort zone and I have turned obstacles into road-blocks rather than stepping-stones, I find myself compromising my integrity as I try to maintain the status quo. How easy it is to condemn me and defame my character, when you really should commend me, and applaud my efforts. Intimidated by my confidence, you misconstrue it as arrogance, I know who I am.... A strong, black-diamond in the rough, a female soldier, a Queen amongst her peers.. now who the hell are you?

Afrigator